Monday, February 23, 2009

And The Oscar Goes To...

The best in the movies for 2008 was announced and I was excited to watch the 81st Academy Awards aired live via Fox Movies channel 94. 

Straight from my Lahore flight which by the way a mixed of boos and woos, a CM that's very popular with crew to be strict and stiff and a whole bunch of good passengers from a connecting flights YYZ, JFK, DUB, LHR & MAN with all those international passport holders flaunting it intentionally (wink ). A passenger who smoked bravely in front of us near R4 door's slide pack and unapologetic to his behavior saying "don't scare me of the police!" (whuwattt )

Anyway, after landing, post security check and clearing the immigration. I rushed to a queue for a limousine service (yabang) worth 70 DHS so that I will not be late for the awards. (I still have the chills) .I don't have dirhams yet so I paid uncle $20 for the taxi ( huhuhu ). 

I made it on time, actually 3 hours ahead of time. In the ad it says 0100 KSA so + 1 hour, so 0200H right? but hey, it's 0330H and it haven't started the pre-Oscar so I fell asleep and waking up around 0600H and Penelope Cruz was announced as the Best Actress in a supporting role. Hey!

I haven't slept yet because I have to watch Kate Winslet take her little man with her after 6 nominations spanning 14 years of painstakingly waiting for an Oscar from Sense and Sensibility, Titanic,Iris, Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind Little Children and the Reader...

Aside from Kate, Slumdog Millionaire is there.

As expected the underdog proved to be the superior contender from 10 nominations it bagged 8 Oscar's including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Original Song and more... It slapped the big studios producing Milk, Benjamin Button & Frost/Nixon.

It's worth the wait for Kate being nominated with array of stellar actress like Meryl Streep who had 14 nominations in her belt and 3 wins for her almost 40 years in the business, Anne Hathaway's first Oscar nomination for Rachel Getting Married, Academy Award winner Angelina Jolie-Pitt for Changeling and Melissa Leo for Froze River.

The Academy Awards amuses me every year with grandiose presentation and good host like "The Sexiest Man Alive" - - Hugh Jackman who proved to be a good dancer. Singing and dancing his way with Beyonce.

The way they present now is with 5 previous Oscar winners presenting the nominees and their qualities why they were nominated. Perfect!

Though the program was quiet long, I enjoyed it a lot.

Congratulations Kate Winslet, Sean Penn for Milk, Heath Ledger for Batman and Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.


No comments: